Friday, August 28, 2009

Rome, Finally

On our way from Florence to Rome...


Rome was just a few hours from Florence; however, our train was delayed so we arrived in Rome about 5 hours later than we anticipated.
We were releaved to finally arrive at our hotel.

This is the view from our window. I loved how each city had their own style of architecture. Rome's architecture felt like a mix between Paris and Venice.
We were refreshed after the stop at our hotel. Afterward, we hit the town! Danielle was a popular shoe brand in Rome (It is also my sister in law's name :))
They were pretty expensive shoes so we didnt stay long.
The next day we went sightseeing!! The Vatican was the first on our list!
I was so excited, i was practically running ahead of the crowd.
Here is Britt on her way to the Sistine Chapel. I think she was more excited about the possibility of a restroom break, than the actual frescoes, but who knows?
Here is a picture of the famous School of Athens by Rafael.
This, of course is the Sistine Ceiling. I am impressed that this picture came out, it was very dark inside.

Botticelli painted a ton of scenes around the walls of the Sistine Chapel, as well as the faux curtains you see.
Here is a famous exit staircase that takes you from the Vatican Museum.
Outside St. Peters. We decided not to tackle the crowd to get in. That leaves me a reason to return to Rome :).
Britt asked that i take a picture of this sign because those are two of her favorite things.
Here is a picture of our walking shoes.
We then went to the Trevi Fountain.

I made Britt spit water from her bottle into the Trevi Fountain.
Then we walked to the Pantheon. This was on my list of things to must see. I have admired the architecture of this building for quite some time.
Here is the drain inside the Pantheon. There is an Oculus in the center of the ceiling and this drain allows for rain water to escape. The floors are all slanted slightly to direct the water.


Outside the Pantheon.
Touching the Pantheon.


On the way to the Colloseum, we ducked into this random church that had the most beautiful ceiling...
This is the tomb of the unknown soldier, with the capitol building behind it.
And last but not least, the Colloseum.




Britt went inside!!
Here is our Subway car that took us back to our hotel.

Our last subway ride in Europe :(
Cant leave without one my taste of Gellato!
Here we are waiting for our flight in Germany. No pictures from the earlier flight (at 4am Rome time). Way too early for pictures.

And here we are, home again!!

We had the best time! Unforgettable! Thanks Mom and Britt for putting up with me! I wouldnt have traded that experience for anything! I love you two!

1 comment:

Luu said...

oh, thanks so much for sharing the pictures! Rome looked like a whole lot of fun! Seeing the pictures made me think about our time in Rome...