If you have followed my blog for a while now, you have noticed that most of my posts are pictures. I do not fancy myself a writer. I am a visual person so I enjoy keeping my memories in pictures. However, since being pregnant, there are a few memories you can't capture with a photo so I thought I would take the time to write them down. Here are a few things I wont forget about Baby B's (I'll have to edit the post upon his/her arrival to include his/her name :)) pregnancy:
1. Baby on the Move- In the beginning, when I first felt the baby move, it was like I had little butterflies in my stomach. I could almost chalk the feeling up to some sort of intestinal movement, but my doctor insured me it was the baby. After I recognized the baby's movements, I started noticing, my baby moved every three hours... on the dot! I cant believe s/he was already on a schedule :). I hear that's difficult to train... looks like I am ahead of the game :).
2. Moving Mondays- I am not sure if it is the fact that I sit at my desk all day on Mondays, or that my baby is that much more antsy on Mondays, but whatever the cause, this baby loves moving on Mondays! Last Monday I was even a little concerned because s/he did not stop moving from when I woke up to when I went to bed. With that said, I am loving the times s/he moves! The baby is growing so much and the movements are getting so clear. It is so fun to sit and feel the life inside of me. I hope I never forget how this feels.
Mom always said that Britt would never stop moving. She sympathized with me having to put up with that in the womb :). Once Britt came out, she hasn't stopped. Britt will be relaxing and have her leg involuntarily shaking. She says its a sign of genius. Maybe I have a little Britt/genius inside of me?!?!
3. Funny Baby- I know we impose this onto our baby, but Caleb and I think this baby is hilarious :). For instance, the baby will move so much in the middle of the night that I wake up. I decide to try and rock back and forth to get Baby B back to sleep. Once the moving stops then I pause.... then the baby moves again, like its a game :). Caleb laughs because he will ask the baby if s/he is a boy or girl. He will say, knock once if you are a girl and twice if you are a boy. The baby moves twice and he says, "It's either a boy, or a sneaky girl like her Momma!".
4. Nicknames- I call this baby "Baby B" or the ever creative "Baby Beacham". However, it seems everyone has given the baby his/her own nickname. My favorites are the ones from work. Caleb's coworkers/volunteers call our baby "Rastus" or "Rasty". I don't know why all I know is that Joe came up with it as a good southern name and it stuck... unfortunately :). My work lovingly calls our baby "Buck" or "Bucky" after I told them the name was suggested after my great grandmother (her maiden name). I love calling my baby Buck/Bucky after Mama Jesse :).
5. Strangers- I wish I could have prepared myself more for the attention I would receive once I started showing. No, not attention from guys (thank goodness), attention from MOMS! It seems I unknowingly joined a club of Motherhood and every mom I pass wants to initiate me. I cannot tell you how many times I have had random and uncomfortable conversations with women I do not know. Just the other day, this saleswoman started asking me about my baby. What am I having? A baby of course. When am I due?How long have I been married? I am so glad I am married, I am so thankful for my husband! Is this my first baby?Unfortunately I don't know how to answer this while giving the due memories to my first pregnancy so I simply say yes with a somber heart. Then the saleswoman goes on to tell me the details of her experience with children. These were the least invasive questions I have been asked but for the introverted person I am, I am constantly astounded by how many times this happens.
The saleswoman experience happens everyday. Just yesterday I was stopped at work by a colleague I just say hi to. I don't know her name but we have offices near each other so I pass her in the hall often. She asked the normal questions with excitement on her face and a congratulations. Then she asks how old I am. That was a new one. I responded and she seemed satisfied.
The most outrageous experience came in January during our freshman/transfer orientation. I was completing my advising load when a girl and her mother come in to be helped. The student had missed orientation due to a migraine. I agreed to see them and we went back to my office to get started. Normally I prefer students to be advised without their parents but if the student wants their parents involved, that's their choice. I think this student quickly regretted that decision. I should have realized the direction of the conversation would lean toward a personal note when the mom walked in my office and asked if I was Catholic. This was a first. I told her no and asked why. She referred me to a picture in my office of Michelangelo's "Pieta" sculpture and she said her priest has a huge needlepoint of the same picture. I told her I was an art major and it was my favorite sculpture. Her probing questions did not end there. She then became really excited to notice I was expecting. She asked the usual, When are you do? What are you having? When i said we are waiting to find out she got really excited because she thought that was the best way. I tried to nod as if I was glad to have her approval, and steer the conversation back to academics at TCU. The mom was relentless. She told me she thought I was having a girl. Then she asked if I was planning to breastfeed. I guess I didn't do a good enough job at looking uncomfortable with the interrogation earlier. And either the mom wasn't paying attention or my face said "please continue", but she then continued to tell me all the benefits of breastfeeding AND what to expect as far as difficulties with the endeavor. She gave me tips on preparation and more. I promise I wasn't encouraging this, I was so embarrassed! I look at the daughter during this time, as I am trying to explain the ins and outs of her degree, and she is shaking her head and mouthing "I'm so sorry". Needless to say, I wont forget that student, or her mom for a while.
So the never ending questions, while making me uncomfortable, at least provide comic relief every now and then. I wonder if I will be so bold as these women have been?
Another strange thing is how many strangers want to touch my pregnant belly. Hello? I don't want to touch your stomach, why do you want to rub mine? I don't think this is appropriate, but I try to put on a nice face. Have I mentioned I am not really a touchy person? I am awkward when it comes to giving hugs and I really enjoy my personal space. Sometimes I feel claustrophobic when others get to close to me, am I the only one?
So thank you Baby B for getting me out of my comfort zone when it comes to dealing with strangers. I have a feeling this is just the beginning. I mean, who can resist stopping and ooohing/ahhing at a cute baby? There will be more to come :).
6. Sharing the news with others- In a previous post, I recounted the events of telling each of our family members. It was so great to see their faces. I did forget to write down how I told my family. At the time, Mom, Dad, Britt, Brandon, Caleb and I had a heated rivalry going. We split off boys vs. girls to play Fishbowl (aka the Noun Game). Well the girls were dominating the game, but the guys were determined to come from behind. For those of you who don't know the game, it is simple. You each write down a person, a place, and a thing on separate pieces of paper. You then fold the paper up and put it in a bowl/bag. During the first round, you have one person from your team try and get the others on your team to guess the word on the paper using as many words (besides the one on the paper) as they want. When you guess correctly you get a point. Each person has 30 seconds with the bag. Then the next team tries. Once all the words have been guessed you put them all back in the bag and play the second round. During the second round you have the same rules and objectives except the person whose turn it is can only say one word. From this one word the others have to guess the word on the card. Third round is charades. No words just movements. By this time you hope the others have pretty much memorized the clues as it can be hard to act out "Austin, Texas". So we decided to play this game, as I knew we would. One of my clues was Baby Beacham, totally fair clue as the baby is a person :). Brandon was the first to pull the clue out of the bowl and he stuttered. He didn't know what to say he was so surprised. The clue didn't get pulled again until Dad's turn and when Dad paused and looked at me (with the biggest smile ever!!), Brandon screamed, "Baby Beacham!!" and we filled Mom and Britt in. It was a lot of fun to tell them this way. Dad's face was priceless!
7. Caleb- Last but not least, I have loved being pregnant with Caleb's baby :). Going through this season with him has been so special! I love praying for our baby with him, talking to our baby with him, and rubbing my tummy with him. When I call him, the first thing he says is "Whats the baby doing?" and yes, he is referring to Baby B, not me :). I tell him the usual, eating, sleeping, making my heartburn :). He has been so great in helping me. Not only does he go out for a grocery run (to accommodate a hankrin :)), but he has bent over backwards to make sure our house, cars, finances, and marriage is at its best before the baby comes. I know things will change when baby B arrives, but I am so blessed that they will change with him. God will not give us more than we can handle. I cannot say how grateful I am to be partnered with such an amazing man :). Love you babe!
Welp, that's all for now. I am 29 weeks and I have started the countdown to delivery :). I hope this finds you having a great day!!
1. Baby on the Move- In the beginning, when I first felt the baby move, it was like I had little butterflies in my stomach. I could almost chalk the feeling up to some sort of intestinal movement, but my doctor insured me it was the baby. After I recognized the baby's movements, I started noticing, my baby moved every three hours... on the dot! I cant believe s/he was already on a schedule :). I hear that's difficult to train... looks like I am ahead of the game :).
2. Moving Mondays- I am not sure if it is the fact that I sit at my desk all day on Mondays, or that my baby is that much more antsy on Mondays, but whatever the cause, this baby loves moving on Mondays! Last Monday I was even a little concerned because s/he did not stop moving from when I woke up to when I went to bed. With that said, I am loving the times s/he moves! The baby is growing so much and the movements are getting so clear. It is so fun to sit and feel the life inside of me. I hope I never forget how this feels.
Mom always said that Britt would never stop moving. She sympathized with me having to put up with that in the womb :). Once Britt came out, she hasn't stopped. Britt will be relaxing and have her leg involuntarily shaking. She says its a sign of genius. Maybe I have a little Britt/genius inside of me?!?!
3. Funny Baby- I know we impose this onto our baby, but Caleb and I think this baby is hilarious :). For instance, the baby will move so much in the middle of the night that I wake up. I decide to try and rock back and forth to get Baby B back to sleep. Once the moving stops then I pause.... then the baby moves again, like its a game :). Caleb laughs because he will ask the baby if s/he is a boy or girl. He will say, knock once if you are a girl and twice if you are a boy. The baby moves twice and he says, "It's either a boy, or a sneaky girl like her Momma!".
4. Nicknames- I call this baby "Baby B" or the ever creative "Baby Beacham". However, it seems everyone has given the baby his/her own nickname. My favorites are the ones from work. Caleb's coworkers/volunteers call our baby "Rastus" or "Rasty". I don't know why all I know is that Joe came up with it as a good southern name and it stuck... unfortunately :). My work lovingly calls our baby "Buck" or "Bucky" after I told them the name was suggested after my great grandmother (her maiden name). I love calling my baby Buck/Bucky after Mama Jesse :).
5. Strangers- I wish I could have prepared myself more for the attention I would receive once I started showing. No, not attention from guys (thank goodness), attention from MOMS! It seems I unknowingly joined a club of Motherhood and every mom I pass wants to initiate me. I cannot tell you how many times I have had random and uncomfortable conversations with women I do not know. Just the other day, this saleswoman started asking me about my baby. What am I having? A baby of course. When am I due?How long have I been married? I am so glad I am married, I am so thankful for my husband! Is this my first baby?Unfortunately I don't know how to answer this while giving the due memories to my first pregnancy so I simply say yes with a somber heart. Then the saleswoman goes on to tell me the details of her experience with children. These were the least invasive questions I have been asked but for the introverted person I am, I am constantly astounded by how many times this happens.
The saleswoman experience happens everyday. Just yesterday I was stopped at work by a colleague I just say hi to. I don't know her name but we have offices near each other so I pass her in the hall often. She asked the normal questions with excitement on her face and a congratulations. Then she asks how old I am. That was a new one. I responded and she seemed satisfied.
The most outrageous experience came in January during our freshman/transfer orientation. I was completing my advising load when a girl and her mother come in to be helped. The student had missed orientation due to a migraine. I agreed to see them and we went back to my office to get started. Normally I prefer students to be advised without their parents but if the student wants their parents involved, that's their choice. I think this student quickly regretted that decision. I should have realized the direction of the conversation would lean toward a personal note when the mom walked in my office and asked if I was Catholic. This was a first. I told her no and asked why. She referred me to a picture in my office of Michelangelo's "Pieta" sculpture and she said her priest has a huge needlepoint of the same picture. I told her I was an art major and it was my favorite sculpture. Her probing questions did not end there. She then became really excited to notice I was expecting. She asked the usual, When are you do? What are you having? When i said we are waiting to find out she got really excited because she thought that was the best way. I tried to nod as if I was glad to have her approval, and steer the conversation back to academics at TCU. The mom was relentless. She told me she thought I was having a girl. Then she asked if I was planning to breastfeed. I guess I didn't do a good enough job at looking uncomfortable with the interrogation earlier. And either the mom wasn't paying attention or my face said "please continue", but she then continued to tell me all the benefits of breastfeeding AND what to expect as far as difficulties with the endeavor. She gave me tips on preparation and more. I promise I wasn't encouraging this, I was so embarrassed! I look at the daughter during this time, as I am trying to explain the ins and outs of her degree, and she is shaking her head and mouthing "I'm so sorry". Needless to say, I wont forget that student, or her mom for a while.
So the never ending questions, while making me uncomfortable, at least provide comic relief every now and then. I wonder if I will be so bold as these women have been?
Another strange thing is how many strangers want to touch my pregnant belly. Hello? I don't want to touch your stomach, why do you want to rub mine? I don't think this is appropriate, but I try to put on a nice face. Have I mentioned I am not really a touchy person? I am awkward when it comes to giving hugs and I really enjoy my personal space. Sometimes I feel claustrophobic when others get to close to me, am I the only one?
So thank you Baby B for getting me out of my comfort zone when it comes to dealing with strangers. I have a feeling this is just the beginning. I mean, who can resist stopping and ooohing/ahhing at a cute baby? There will be more to come :).
6. Sharing the news with others- In a previous post, I recounted the events of telling each of our family members. It was so great to see their faces. I did forget to write down how I told my family. At the time, Mom, Dad, Britt, Brandon, Caleb and I had a heated rivalry going. We split off boys vs. girls to play Fishbowl (aka the Noun Game). Well the girls were dominating the game, but the guys were determined to come from behind. For those of you who don't know the game, it is simple. You each write down a person, a place, and a thing on separate pieces of paper. You then fold the paper up and put it in a bowl/bag. During the first round, you have one person from your team try and get the others on your team to guess the word on the paper using as many words (besides the one on the paper) as they want. When you guess correctly you get a point. Each person has 30 seconds with the bag. Then the next team tries. Once all the words have been guessed you put them all back in the bag and play the second round. During the second round you have the same rules and objectives except the person whose turn it is can only say one word. From this one word the others have to guess the word on the card. Third round is charades. No words just movements. By this time you hope the others have pretty much memorized the clues as it can be hard to act out "Austin, Texas". So we decided to play this game, as I knew we would. One of my clues was Baby Beacham, totally fair clue as the baby is a person :). Brandon was the first to pull the clue out of the bowl and he stuttered. He didn't know what to say he was so surprised. The clue didn't get pulled again until Dad's turn and when Dad paused and looked at me (with the biggest smile ever!!), Brandon screamed, "Baby Beacham!!" and we filled Mom and Britt in. It was a lot of fun to tell them this way. Dad's face was priceless!
7. Caleb- Last but not least, I have loved being pregnant with Caleb's baby :). Going through this season with him has been so special! I love praying for our baby with him, talking to our baby with him, and rubbing my tummy with him. When I call him, the first thing he says is "Whats the baby doing?" and yes, he is referring to Baby B, not me :). I tell him the usual, eating, sleeping, making my heartburn :). He has been so great in helping me. Not only does he go out for a grocery run (to accommodate a hankrin :)), but he has bent over backwards to make sure our house, cars, finances, and marriage is at its best before the baby comes. I know things will change when baby B arrives, but I am so blessed that they will change with him. God will not give us more than we can handle. I cannot say how grateful I am to be partnered with such an amazing man :). Love you babe!
Welp, that's all for now. I am 29 weeks and I have started the countdown to delivery :). I hope this finds you having a great day!!

No comments:
Post a Comment